Social media, Zoom meetings, Skype calls, Facetime—with all the technology available to bring people together, why bother attending conferences anymore? What’s the point of taking so much time away from your business to attend an industry conference or trade show when you can just get all the information you need online?
Being active in your industry comes with a wealth of benefits. You can join organizations and connect with people online, but there comes a time when face-to-face is the best way to connect. Here are five reasons to attend a trade show or conference:
- Educational opportunities. We can all learn—in fact, we should never stop learning. The educational aspect of a conference can expose you to new ideas for your business. You can learn best practices, and the latest happenings in your industry.
- Networking with peers. Conferences and trade shows provide a great opportunity to network. Competitors from other regions of the country can become valuable resources and referral sources. There’s enough pie for everyone, and you never know when you might need to lean on a competitor.
- Encounter new vendors and suppliers. People often shy away from the trade show exhibit hall at conferences like the plague. They fear that they will have to talk to salespeople; however, these are some of the best people for you to get to know. You need to know about products and services for your business to stay competitive. Invest time with the folks and turn them into your friends.
- Position yourself as an expert. Who doesn’t want to be seen as an expert at what they do? If you lock yourself in your office and never engage with others in your industry, expert status will never happen for you. Think about your clients, and how much more they will trust you when they know that you are respected by your peers. Attending an industry conference will help you become the expert in your field.
- Have fun. All work and no play can get very boring very fast. Industry conferences mix a social aspect into your learning. Many events have fun activities such as parties, golf, and tours of the local area where the event is hosted. If the conference is being held in an area of the country not close to your own, you get an opportunity to see something that you may not have seen before. If the conference is in an area you want to see more of, it doesn’t hurt to take a little extra time at the beginning or end of the event to explore the area. Remember, resting and recharging will make you better at your job when you come back to the office.
And while we’re on the subject of conferences…
Mark your calendar for Sunday, April 15, 2018!
That is the date of Bluebird’s next Users Conference, being held in conjunction with the annual International Car Rental Show at Bally’s Resort & Casino.
The event will begin with an evening outing at the High Roller Ferris Wheel! Therefore, please make plans to arrive by Saturday afternoon, April 14th.
Here are all the details:
Saturday, April 14th, 7:30 p.m. Drinks and Dessert on the High Roller, located at 3545 S. Las Vegas Blvd. (behind the LINQ Hotel and Casino).
Sunday, April 15th, 8 a.m. Meetings take place in the Skyview ROOM 2 on the 26th Floor.
- Brief Presentations by Sponsoring Vendors
- State of the Union Address
- Sales and Support
- Chip and Pin Requirements for Credit Cards
- Product Update
– VIN Decoding/Recalls
– RW Mobile
– RW Express
- New Products/Interfaces
– Broker XML Interface
– HUF/Sixth Sense
– Topaz Signature Capture
- Development Calendar
- Open Forum
The Conference will adjourn at 5 p.m., which is when the opening reception for the International Car Rental Show begins!
Registration will close on Wednesday April 11th (as we’ll have to get meal counts to the hotel) and that the cost is only $49 per person! We hope to see you there!
To register, click here.